Trunking Radio/police scanners help!?

implicitProdigy

Feb 10, 2009
When you get into a frequency, do you have to do anything for the "trunking" feature to work I have a pro-164 radio/police scanner from radioshack.... Im just wondering what differences there will be when im in "trunking".... is it a mode? can anyone help me out, how do I trunk....

you have to have a trunking scanner.

all the info you need is here

http://www.police-scanner.info/police-scanners/trunking-police-scanners.htm

i am big into scanning myself. in houston, the houston police department is on non trunking freqs. i can listen to them all day/night.

the county police are trunking, and i dont have a trunking scanner so im unable to listen.

im assuming your local police are trunking.

good luck. hope the site i gave you will answer all your questions.

ill also share two instances where owning a scanner helped me.

1. i had a base station scanner set up at my house. during hurricane katrina, although it didnt hit houston that bad, it was still pandemonium. all the gas stations ran out of gas. i was able to find the frequencies for some truck drivers who were talking to each other about what gas stations the fueler trucks were going to. based on this information i was able to jump in my truck and go fill up on gas, while nobody else but those lucky enough to be driving by knew about it.

2. one night i was coming home reeeallly late from a friends house. it was around 330am. i was really tired, and not really paying attention to the traffic around me. i had my radio shack handheld scanner clipped to my sun visor in my truck, turned on, as usual, and my radar detector on. the radar detector didnt go off- it never did unless the cop had his radar gun on. i was sitting at a light when i heard a cop come on and run a plate. pretty common thing, so i was kinda halfway listening... waiting for the return, just because i was curious. then i heard the make and model of my truck, then my name, then my address lol! i was like oh SH#$. so i look in my rear view and what do you know. cop was sitting right behind me at the light lol.

Back