Was Jefferson Davis a rasict guy and Abraham Lincoln not?

theguy

Apr 15, 2008
I know this is the classic view of looking at it, but what was the truth? Were the confederates really bad guys?Why do we think that Abraham Lincoln is so great? I just need to know the truth. Thank you.

Lincoln:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union...
I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

Both of them were racist. They shared the SAME mentality with regard to race. They were just like the majority of white Americans at that time.
I KNOW Lincoln was not that great. He was a master manipulator, always acting so sad and pitiful, using all these fancy words and phrases about freedom and all that to look good through the ages. He knew he had an image to keep. He did a good job because now most people believe the Lincoln Myth.

Back