What do I need to purchase to connect all my home theater components?

TVguy

Jun 1, 2008
Lets start with video part. Assuming your TV has at least one component input, you can buy a Component A/V switch, with at leat 4 inputs to connect DVD, xbox360, apple TV, and Ps3 (the wii is SD)

Assuming your DVD player (or Hometheater in a box) has an AUX input, you can also buy a digital audio input switch (probably optical). If not, there is nothing you can do without an AV receiver.

Look at Gefen, but there are cheaper options as well.

I have a DVD player with 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer, a dish network reciever, a wii, a xbox, a xbox 360, a vcr, a apple tv reciever and a playstation 3. I would also like to hook up my computer to the TV. What do I need to buy that has enough inputs to receive all these components and that would allow me to have surround sound for all of them? Currently I only have one component that uses an HD cable, the rest are all the three prong type. I'm not sure what I would have to have to hook up the computer. Lastly I can't afford anything in the thousands but several hundred would be doable. Thanks
The TV is an 42" plasma (hitachi)
The DVD player is a Panasonic (5 disk changer HDMI) model SA-PT950

Lets start with video part. Assuming your TV has at least one component input, you can buy a Component A/V switch, with at leat 4 inputs to connect DVD, xbox360, apple TV, and Ps3 (the wii is SD)

Assuming your DVD player (or Hometheater in a box) has an AUX input, you can also buy a digital audio input switch (probably optical). If not, there is nothing you can do without an AV receiver.

a higher end Receiver such as a Yamaha Dennon Onkyo or maybe even a Sony If you get one that does video up conversion you will only have to run one wire to the TV HDMI

Back