What is a "Geordie"?

CathrynS

Mar 27, 2008
Could someone help me out here? What is the definition of "Geordie"? Is it slang for a region, or something else?

Have seen it used here on MAP. And, I've rewatched "Bend It Like Beckham" a couple of weeks ago searching for context and could get most of the other slang, but what the devil is a Geordie?

"So, who's that Geordie watching Jess?"

TIA.

What is a "Geordie"?

They are a small mostly red-headed race of people whom washed up on the bleak shoreline of northern England back in pre-history. Their origins are shrouded in mystery and only 4 true facts are known
1 they are always up for it
2 they founded both ninjas and the Shaolin Temple
3 they do not feel the cold
4 they started the hundred years war

What is a "Geordie"?

In simple terms, a Geordie is someone who lives in the north-east of England eg me.

Teacher - only two of those are correct

What is a "Geordie"?

Geordies were originally anywhere between the river wear and the Scots border. They may be directly descended from the Angles who were germanic mercenaries brought by the Romans and who gave England its name (the Romans Called them the Berickiae hence Berwick on Tweed in England and Berwickshire in Scotland) another theory has put them as Jocks with their brains bashed out.
http://www.bobjude.co.uk/photo/newc/who.htm

What is a "Geordie"?

Doesn't it have something to do with which side of the River Wear you were born. North of South?

I think.

What is a "Geordie"?

Brummy? Scousers? Also regional names?

So, my family is from Devonshire. What does that make me? Right then, I mean does Devonshire have a regional handle?

What is a "Geordie"?

The regional names of the Brits are stupidly complicated and ingrained with haterd and bigotry, verging on total racism. A dislike of a person purely for the reason of the region that they are from.

Mancs hate tykes and scousers, scousers hate mancs, geordies hate jumpers and coats, northerners hate southereners, southerners hate the cold and working for a living, brummies hate the English language, evidenced by their inability to speak it. Welsh hate the English and the the Scots hate the English, English hate the Irish and the Irish hate the English and the Welsh hate the price of wellies and the fact the legs of the wellies are sometimes too small to get the sheeps leg in as well. The scousers hate the price of shell suits and la cost trainee's, and the fact that perms are not available on the NHS. Pie eaters hate wooly backs and the fact that pea wet is not on prescription.

Generally all regions of the the uk hate each other!!

What is a "Geordie"?

Cornys? From Cornwall, yes?

"I'm on a bicycling tour of north Cornwall . . . Do they sell Tiser here?"

What is a "Geordie"?

a "geordie" like, is a scottish person on the wrong side of the border.

unlike the other southern softies......

and the baby eaters from yorkshire and the midlands.....

as for the cornish......thats why the invented birth control...but some always slip through ..."the net"?????

What is a "Geordie"?

Geordies are evil people who will come into your house and drink all your beer.

Save the beer! Lock Geordies out!

What is a "Geordie"?

geordie's are great people! best in the world. apart from maybe us gloucestershire farmers lol.

What is a "Geordie"?

O.K., so it's an individual from Newcastle in Northeastern England.

Why would the Indian girl in "Bend It Like Beckham" call Jules (the hot white chick who befriends Jess) a Geordie when they are living in Hounslow (a suburb of London?)?

Is Geordie analogous to "hilljack", "hillbilly", "redneck" or "banjo" here in the states, i.e. an insult implying the person is less educated, less cultured, lazy, inter alia? (Or Cledus, Jasper, or Bobby Lee).

What is a "Geordie"?

Its not really derogatory like "Hillbilly". I have a Geordie friend at my Uni. It just means that she's from Newcastle.

What is a "Geordie"?

Damn straight. You english ponces think wellies grow on trees.

A lot depends on the regional accent. Geordies say things like 'alreet' and 'why aye'.
It's not quite like 'hillbilly'. That implies yer basic country-dwelling sheep molester. The Geordie, on the other hand, is typically a welder, factory worker or riveter and subsists on newkie brown ale.

Back