What is ashkenazi orthodox judaism?

Denny

Jul 22, 2008
What is reform Judaism? These are the only nearest type of synagogues near where i'm from since i'm interested into converting to Judaism.
Also how do I know which type of Judaism is right for me?

The Terms 'Ashkenazi' and 'Saphardi' originated when the Jews where expelled from Spain in the 1500's, during the Inquisition. The Ashkenazi Jews were the ones who fled or trekked East, through Europe and over to Poland and Russia. Eventually they settled all over East Europe and later spread to Western Europe, the UK and America.
The Saphardi Jews took an entirely different route. They spread out along the Mediterranean Basin, through North Africa, over to Turkey and the Middle East, some going as far as Persia, India and even joining the Silk Road and made it to China..!
The both streams have slightly different dietary laws, religious customs and traditions and celebrate the Jewish Festivals in a slightly different manor.
In the Jewish Spectrum of Belief, Liberal and Reform is at one end of the spectrum and Ultra-Orthodox at the other. Depends on what you are looking for. If you want 'tradition' then it's Orthodox for you. If you want Liberal Modern Judaism, the it's Reform or Liberal.

Judaism is a bit complicated to classify just like christianity is but here's how I roughly understand it so far and please correct me if I'm wrong.

The term Ashkenazi has to do with the culture or history:

After the people of Israel were deported some were settled in Europe and became known as Ashkenazi, while others were settled in Africa and became known as Sophadi.

The term orthodox describes the synagogue they attend: Orthodox, Chasidic, Conservative, Reform, Progressive, Liberal.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Ashkenazi means "German" in medieval Hebrew and denotes the primarily Yiddish-speaking Eastern European Jews who lived in Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Germany, etc.

Orthodox is one of the branches/denominations of Judaism. It stresses strict adherence to the mitzvot (commandments for Jews).

Reform Judaism is usually called Progressive Judaism in the UK. It stresses less strict adherence to the mitzvot and more emphasis on the "essence" of Judaism (tikkun olam, the meaning behind certain traditions and practices, etc).

The only way you will know which type is best for you is if you schedule meetings with rabbis from various denominations (Reform/Progressive, Conservative/Masorti, Orthodox) and ask them that question.

Ashkenazi means German in old Hebrew.

Become a Samtar, a form of Hasidism, which is haredi (Ultra-Orthodox Judaism), they're all Ashkenazi.

How much fun does this look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMequ_T-4UQ&feature=related

Back