What Martial Art do you practice and like ?

Robby

Jul 28, 2008
I am in TKD (non sport style) and Japanese Weeping Style Jujitsu I have competed in TKD and MMA tournaments throughout the U.S. I also assist with demonstrations and teach . I will be getting my 4th degree black belt in both soon and want to begin practicing a new art that will compliment what I am currently taking. I am familiar with most Martial Arts minus some Kung Fu forms. The reason I am on yahoo answers asking this question is because I want to know what Arts people through the U.S. practice and like.
The only art I will not take is BJJ, its great if your in MMA but all too many times I have seen and read articles on people getting killed or maimed using it in self defense. Common sense and years of fighting tells me its a bad idea to tango with a thug on the ground.
I want to learn a new art that I can teach my students that will benefit them in self defense.
I only want good answers that reflect experience in your art. If your answer is rude, or dumb I will not acknowledge you. This is simply to get another point of view besides those close to me, and in my GYM.

Thanks for your answers !

Seven star praying mantis, snake, eagle and tiger forms kung fu. i practice them all but am primarily a student of seven star mantis. they are all very practical in the real world and simple to learn but go very in depth and are difficult to master as you progress

Why not try something in a severe departure from what you're used to? You've done striking and grappling, why not try something exceedingly soft/internal?

Chen Family Taijiquan
Aiki[jujutsu/budo/do]
Baguazhang

I mean, ultimately, you've learned enough by now to know the differences. Granted, these are opinions based not really on my training in those arts, but on the approach my training takes in the Bujinkan – very focused on softness, perceiving imbalance, manipulation... I don't have to be strong, just aware. And that is far more satisfying.

Back