What martial arts should i do?

Natalie

May 12, 2008
Hey, im thinking about starting a martial arts beginners club, i have to admit im not too athletic but i would love to try. Its supposed to increase your confidence, co-ordination etc

i was wondering if anyone could explain what martial art is which and what would be best for a girl?
Thanks x

I do tae kwon do and I really like it, but you have to be careful because it's been greatly exploited and has become more of a sport in most cases. Avoid places that teach you to fight strictly for Olympic sparring because then it won't be very effective outside of a sparring session.

Not to sound insensitive but you may also want to avoid styles that are mainly ground and clutch fighting like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Judo because if your class is predominately male it might cause some issues.

Tai chi is pretty good, its slow paced but it can be an effective martial art if its taught like a martial art instead of as self-improvement class. In fact, most kung fu styles are pretty cool to learn.

TAE KWON DO. It's epic and you can be almost as kickass as chuck norris (no one can be as kickass as chuck norris, but this is the closest you can get)

Do Brazilian Jui-Jitsu, it allows a smaller weaker opponent to use leverage and strategy to win the fight. It is mostly a ground fighting style that focuses on submissions. Do not listen to the guy that said you will have problems being a girl in a mostly male class. There are a couple girls in my class and they waste some of the guys. BJJ allows for a great workout, fun competition, and a practical self-defense martial art.

Back