What type of bike should I buy?

swol335i

Jul 23, 2008
I recently took a bike ride with my brother using my dad's road bike and enjoyed it and now I would like to buy one of my own but I'm not sure what to get. I will be using the bike primarily around town and on the road as a form of cardio.

My friend goes to the mountain bike trails but since the majority of my riding would be on the street I feel that it would be pointless to buy a mountain bike since it is geared differently and will be slow. Road bikes look great for the road (obviously) but there is sand and dirt in a lot of areas and i'm not sure how it would fair in those conditions. Also, it seems the hunched over position doesn't look that pleasant. I'm not going to be a Lance Armstrong, I'm just looking to replace my 30 minutes of indoor cardio with something new and fun. I've also looked at hybrids but some people say they like them and others say they're kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. I don't need a specialized road bike, I just want something comfortable and fun that I can get a good workout on in the streets without being hunched over. Any recommendations? (brands, type, etc.)
I've already been to 3 different bike shops and everyone has their own opinion. I was kind of looking for a serious cyclist's opinion. I don't mind the position of a hybrid or mountain bike. I was saying a road bike has you EXTREMELY hunched over. Doesn't seem like it can be good for your back in the long run.

How about a recumbent. They are much more comfortable, better for your back and fun. They take a little getting used to (balance) . They can be expensive but you could try craigslist or ebay.

Go to a reputable bike store and talk to the salesman. They are likely to be riders and they'll ask you questions that will help you in your choice.

Back