What type of Martial Arts should I take?

wavemaker123

Nov 22, 2011
Ok first of all I am 16. Is this to late to take martial arts? I really don't want to take beginners karate with little kids. Are there any places that take these kind of people who just now want to start? If so, what would be the best type of martial arts for me If I one day want to defend my family?

any dojo will probably have an adult class for teens and adults. typically, at least around here, people start judo at older ages.

If you want to defend you family, become a decent marksman and buy a firearm.

Of course it's not too late! You can learn martial arts at any age.

The best martial art is the one with the best sensei/coach/trainer. Find the art you are particularly interested in and look around for some good schools. I personally think that MMA is the best art but I am biased.

I would go around to several different kinds of martial arts dojos... Everyone has a martial art that is best for them. Check out Aikido. They start people at 13 at the youngest. But Aikido is not for people who like to kick and punch... It is about moving with other people basically in a way to defend yourself.

I'm not sure if it appeals to you a lot... but maybe Kickboxing? KB is a very physical/mental martial art, that consists of elbows, knees, punches and kicks. But also, from what believe, you won't be shoved into a younger class.

Its never too late. They have classes specifically for adults. Try a Ru-Te Kenpo Karate dojo.

I joined a jiu jitsu gym but learned muay thai, boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu... now im an amateur mma fighter. Jiu jitsu is best to protect your family

Back