Why did turning on my lights kill my VW vanagon?

JR1

May 19, 2008
I own a 1982 VW Vanagon GL. (may be my first problem :) ) I recently replaced the battery due to starting problems. It started fine for awhile. (even in sub-zero temps) I recently started her up on a cold day and let her run awhile to warm the engine. When i turned on the lights the car died. I checked and replaced fuses (although they looked fine) but could not get a restart. My battery/alternator warning light has not gone off (due to age who knows if it even works anymore) The car will start with a jump. I have an after market stereo and the problem seems to coincide with the use of the cig. lighter for aux. electronics. (This may be a coincidence) When i go to start it it wants to crank over but seems to not be getting the charge it needs. The lights cut out when i turn the key but work when the key is turned as far as just having the elec. working. Whats my prob???

At that point I would either get ride of the thing or rewire it from start to finish I just had to redo the entire harness on my 81 Toyota 4x4. It was fairly easy can't imagine a old vw being very complicated.

At that point I would either get ride of the thing or rewire it from start to finish I just had to redo the entire harness on my 81 Toyota 4x4. It was fairly easy can't imagine a old vw being very complicated.

Back