Why dont traditional martial arts work in "real" situations like UFC.?

DlNasty

Apr 21, 2010
It seems as if there are only so many ways you can strike someone else. Why do Muay Tai and BJJ win every time on challenge matches on You Tube ect...

If martial artists were up to it, and they could get away with it legally, an absolute total no holds barreed fight would help answer the question (1 vs. 1 person, no weapons of course).

Most challenge matches bar a lot of the moves that martial arts that you don't commonly see in the ufc/mma commonly use. Those martial arts will use such illegal moves like: eye gouges, biting, groin strikes/crushes, strikes to the back, throat shots, strikes to the knees, etc., etc. So, these martial arts are handicapped when they go into mma for the most part. They aren't designed for any type of sport so, they are at a disadvantage in a sport setting.

I think this is the truth with several different martial arts out there you don't see mma. A lot of these fighters tend to describe fights over in mere seconds. The strike real sensitive vulnerable targets and they guy goes down, end of story. There is little to no groundfighting either. They are just a different thing than mma sport fighting.

If there were those full all out matches like I mentioned then we could see more. If fighters were willing to die and get maimed, there was no thought of long drawn out matches to entertain, we could see the truth more. But of course, this rarely happens. If it does it's underground and higly illegal. I read one time about these type of matches that they end quickly, have no groundfighting, and are usually end with an eye gouge.

Combat sports like: Muay Thai, Brazillian Jiujitsu, Sambo, Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, Greco Roman, they do well in a sport like mma because they are sports. They are sports that are used to rules that prohibit them from doing those illegal moves that would severly hurt or kill someone. So, for them to adjust to a challenge match with rules or mma isn't that hard.

Another thing to consider is that some traditional martial arts are impractical and garbage for real fights. There is a lot of traditional moves that are hard to grasp or understand their full applications. So, they become useless and impractical and leave their uses defenseless. This definetly is part of the problem too. Where have we seen the Karate punches from the hip ever used in a real fight? You don't. But, they are taught in Karate as real punches. You use them in a real fight you will probably be hit 5 times before it lands. There are just many moves like that. They cause problems.

So, I think that's why you don't see a lot of the traditional arts working and you see combat sports like Muay Thai and BJJ working instead. If there were true 100% no rules fights then Muay Thai and BJJ probably wouldn't domiante as much. You would see several traditional martial arts failing miserably too as well because of their outdated impractial moves. You take the participants of that 100% no rules fight and put them in MMA, suddenly they will be handicapped and those combat sport fighters will dominate.

Well i would counter and say look at the owner of the belt in the 205 class. He dominates everyone and his style is karate. Cant get more traditional that that. Machida is his name. If you could do me a small favor and help me out too :) http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=AnixN24xHPLAK5o9NL0EaKLsy6IX;_ylv=3?sid=396545234

Back