Why won't my 1986 Volvo won't start?

AshleyC

May 14, 2008
Hi there. I have a 1986 Volvo sedan that I've been having trouble starting. My sister (who used to own the car) says it's because it is so cold and the car sits outside at my apartment complex, but it seems to me there has to be another problem or a simple solution we're overlooking.

Usually I need to turn the car on and sit for a few minutes to warm it up, or else it cuts out when I try to drive it. Lately, though it's been cutting out while I just sit in the parking space trying to warm it up. Then it won't start back up again. Sometimes I can get it to start, sometimes I can't. Once it does start up and stay on, I can drive it--for instance, I don't have to worry about driving half way to the store and having the car die on the road.

It's not a lack of gas or the battery. What could it be? Any suggestions as to what I could do to get it to start, or should I take it to a mechanic at this point?

Thanks!
I should add that before my sister sold me the car a few months ago, she had it thoroughly checked out by a Volvo mechanic. There shouldn't, she insists, be anything wrong with the car.

Also, sometimes when it's trying to start it rumbles and shakes pretty badly before it cuts out. Yikes?

Back