Will adding a theater add to the value of my home?

Flash

May 23, 2008
I'm looking to convert my living room into a full fledged theater. Since it has a perfect shape for this (long and rectangular), I figured it was as good as time as any to do it.

Here's the details on the major construction. I'd seal up the one window in the room to make it as dark as possible. Then, about 3/4 of the way back, build an 8 inch riser the rest of the way. 2 rows of seating, each seats 3, and a 4 person high bar in the back with a small wet bar in the corner. It would have in-wall speakers and the front wall would have an automatic 135 inch pull down projection screen.

Basically, this would be a permanent conversion.

Now would doing this add value to my home if I choose to sell in 5 or 10 years (the theater would be left behind, including all A/V equipment). I've heard various reports that because it's "specialized", it would add nothing to the overall value of the home. But then because it's specialized, I've also read reports stating it would make the home "One of a kind".

Anybody know the true answer before I install this? Granted, I'm doing this for "me", but I always look in the long run of things.

Thanks for any help.

Back