Yoga and pilates

danix

Apr 16, 2008
Just a quickie, has anyone had much or any experience with yoga or pilates? I'm thinking of giving them a go, for flexibility mainly, but for general wellbeing. And possibly ogling flexible ladies in tight clothes. But mostly the first two xD Anyone tried them and found them beneficial?

Yes. I have done mat and reformer Pilates, and Yoga. They make you sore in different ways entirely!

Pilates (as you may know) is intense core workouts, and alot of spine lengthening. There are so many kinds of yoga, but im sure you are familiar with what it does.

Don't rule out Tai Chi. The only down side is you will not get ladies in lycra, but will get the flexibility and wellbeing.

Thanks for the suggestion, simon. I do tai chi already, but it's got different movements to what I thought were the universal ones as seen in the 24 beijing (I think) form (yang style, anyway.) I know those movements give a good stretch, but I don't feel my flexibility is being worked at all in the tai chi I do, though it does loosen me up nicely, my back is often very stiff when I first wake up, my class is 9.30am, by the time I leave I feel very loose and comfortable, so I know tai chi is awesome for the wellbeing side

Aye, I know pilates is good exercise for the core, it's certainly a weak area for me, so it sounds like that'd be good. That would help with kicking wouldn't it? Well, everything, to have a stronger core. I think that's a must-try then, to do pilates.

I expect to be sore, but how ... "strenuous" is it, if you get me? I dunno how it'll affect my diabetes but I dunno what my doctor would know about it so don't really have any way to find out beyond doing it. Guess that's all part of the fun. So I think the more important question might be...

Any stretches that might overexcite me if I'm behind aforementioned ladies? xD

I do a bit of pilates. It isn't really "strenuous" - light to moderate intensity I'd say. It will work your strength and flexibility though... so while you won't feel worn out like say from a HIT/cardio workout, you will feel it in your muscles. Kind of a "stretched out" feeling, if that makes sense.

Sounds pretty good Asked my doctor about taking up karate I think coz I'm really unfit, he said I don't have anything besides the diabetes that would cause me problems with exercise, that was only six or seven months ago, think I'll be fine

That sounds kinda nice, spin Thanks all.

You should also think about some mobility work as well. Google 'Inside Out - the upper body warm up' and 'Magnificent Mobility'. Both of these are really good for helping with tight muscles.

My wife and I have both done yoga and found it excellent. And intense. I don't make fun of yoga people -- those poses are difficult. It's a workout, but very different than lifting weights or playing sports. The stretching, the breathing, the holding weird positions is excellent for health. Very good stuff. Big fan of yoga.

Try ashtanga yoga. It's a tough workout but seems to work the core muscles as well as giiving great flexibility. I would say it would go well with tai chi etc as well as any martial art.

I did Iyengar yoga for three years and rate it highly. They're very hot on getting the postures as perfect as possible. E.g. they will quite happily spend a good hour and a half session going into minute detail on one particular asana. I've also attended classes where they'll run through a whole group of asanas, but will direct your focus to a particular muscle group and differing ways of positioning them in each subsequent asana.

Unless you get really into it, it won't do much for you other than making you more flexible though. Sure, you'll feel more relaxed so you can probably factor in some mild stress-relief, but it's more of a fringe benefit. Also, there's a lot more to wellbeing than just flexibility. Although yoga does traditionally address issues like diet and state of mind, the Iyenga yoga classes I attended focussed 99% on perfecting the postures, so you'd need to look elsewhere for improving other areas of your life.

Oh, and Iyengar yoga has it's fair share of fit wimmins too.

Ive tried all three!

The Yoga was great, if a bit wacky (tarot cards and the like)
and the pilates was great rehab for shoulders and hips.

If there going to be your only 'fitness work' I would add some cardio in, but not straight after or before or you'l ruin the chilax effect.

Enjoy!

I think yoga and pilates are great for getting good at yoga and pilates. MA is not the focus of those systems. There may be some crossover benefits, but they're not directly beneficial.

Van Zandt has posted some pretty good instructions on how to get flexible for MA. In fact, stuff that, he's posted detailed and precise instructions on how to do it.

I don't doubt that yoga and pilates may be fun and have their own benefits, but I do think that the same people who would tell you to train specifically for your style/lifting goal/whatever in mind, should also tell you to do flexibility training that is directly relevant to MA.

Mitch

Back