Your top 10 possessions

You just could not leave it at a description of the blade could you?

I think we could all figure out what a knife is for.

I'm not sure I can come up with ten things.

Actually I'm not sure I can come up with 5.

My laptop because it has a lot of photos of the kids on it.
The kids' favourite cuddlies
Album of wedding photos

Does 3 count?

Mitch

What, no 'fro pick? You want to be lookin' good when the news cameras come, don't you?

The best way to keep your laptop contents safe is to back everything up and then store the drive in the mining shaft near WhitePanda's house.

Boxing gloves, gum guard, hand wraps, gi.

Still waiting on the groin guard (it's in the mail).

A £5.00 gum shield and £4.50 hand wrap as a prized possession. That is rather sad.

Seems some of us have strange ideas on what real value is and where we place that value.

I find it hard to think of ten things. Most of my material possessions are replaceable through the insurance.

1. Laptop
2. The Dragon's head Katana
3. The Glorious First of June print (family heirloom)
4. Certificates (eg degrees and grades)
5. My doctoral thesis
6. 3 original paintings
7. A few family photos

I've a short list. My wallet and cellphone and I can't really think of anything else that couldn't be replaced, maybe my CD's some photos...

I don't own anything of value (maybe this old laptop?). OP said possessions, he didn't say "What is most valuable to you?". These are the things I HAVE to wear if I want to spar/participate. So they instantly become more essential. Other than that, to hell with you and stop putting me down.

The gum guard was two pounds :)

My one favorite is a small lock knife my mom gave me. But that wouldn't be an issue in a fire because I always have it on me.

Calm down Chadderz, no one is putting anyone down.

It just seems strange to me that you put a £2.00 gumshield over any photos of loved ones for example.

Nothing. Property is theft! Stuff I have that I make use of has merit, anything else I tend to get rid of. So if I lost the stuff I had then I would just replace it with more stuff I really needed to get by, like clothes, stuff for training, some of my computer files are backed up on a couple of systems but well at the end of the day I could live without them. I don't have addresses backed up on a cloud system so this thread has prompted me to a gap that would be a real inconvenience, that and phone numbers

In no particular order:

Photo of Dad as both a kid and young adult given to me by my grandma just before she died
First tennis racquet I ever had
Laptop (has lots of pics and books on there)
Phone
Brass budha a friend gave me when I was in hospital
Playstation 3 with Skyrim or uncharted inside
Jacket my mates got me when I was leaving Italy.

Thats about it really.

If i had more time then my dvds and video games would be packed as well.

I definately do not have enough family photos, virually none of the whole familky, as it is normally me behind the camera.
My father has recently been in hospital after an accident and my mother has been posting pictures on Facebook of his recovery. I've made sure I have saved them all.
Definately time to take more pictures of loved ones I think.
How many of us are backing up those pictures that are on our laptops?

Right, so I had a talk with Mitch, who suggested I elaborate further on my choices.

Right, so I'm twenty years old, and more or less a waste of space, I don't produce anything original, I don't majorly contribute to society, I work a dead-end job that I don't particularly enjoy that pays minimum wage. I MIGHT become manager in 10-15 years provided I kiss enough ass (the boss of this single shop is something like 45).

I can live with all this, it's just reality.

Where my item choices come in:

These items are essential if I want to train/spar/roll. Without these I cannot advance in training. In class, it's the only place I feel I want to be other than my home (which the O.P said burned down, sucky). It's also the only other place I have that makes me feel like I could do something with myself, and where I might actually mean something.

Reasons I didn't pick loved ones photos:

I don't have any. Well, I have a few, but outside my direct family (Mother, Father, Brother) I don't even like my family members.

So yeah, my items were chosen because they are essential to the only thing I live for outside Family.

Although I do have two things I can't replace, a necklace given to me by somebody, made of Sterling and a synthetic rubber material, and a teething dummy.

Don't put yourself down. Nobody is a waste of space. Well, apart from Man U fans.

Now your choices make more sense because they're symbolic of where you like to be. It's not even the gloves that matter maybe, it's where they let you be.

As for the photos of loved ones I think Simon makes a good point; we could all do to have a few more pics of our nearest and dearest safely to hand, and I don't just mean family.

Mitch

Back