2004 GMC pickup idles rough when stopped in drive?

scndxshy1

Sep 8, 2011
When stopped at a stoplight my pickup idles rough and sometimes the check engine light comes on

Drop by your local "Auto Parts Store," and purchase a spray can of "Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner," locate and using a flat-head screwdriver remove the "MAP Sensor." Now the "MAP Sensor," is also referred by a few different names, "Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP), Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) and Mass Air Flow Meter Sensor (MAF)." Just keep in mind I'm talking about the "MAP Sensor," regardless of the name it goes by. Your "Rough Idling Problem," I strongly believe is due to a "Dirty MAP/MAF Sensor."

The "MAP/MAF Sensor" is a very important sensor that detects the volume of air being drawn into the engine, and than sends a signal to the "Power Control Module (PCM)," which than determines the proper "Air-Flow," for "Fueling" and "Idle." Once you have located and removed the "MAP/MAF Sensor," give it a good "Spraying," using the carb/brake cleaner. Give it a good cleaning, making sure to remove all the dirt and soot with-in. While you under the hood, also give the "Throttle Body," a good spraying and cleaning.

Once you have given both the "MAP/MAF Sensor and Throttle Body," a good cleaning, re-attach the components. Now, you will need to "Reset," the "PCM," and "Check Engine Light." This is done in the following order, (1) "Disconnect The Positive Cable From The Battery," (2) "Wait No Less Than 10 Minutes." (3) Re-Connect The Positive Cable To The Battery." (4) Insert the "Ignition Key," and turn it "On & Off Three (3) Times," do not start the engine. (5) You now have "Reset The PCM," and the "Check Engine Light" and any "Bad Codes," and you should be ready to roll.

So, start the engine and enjoy the ride.

Good Luck !

i was going to say a vacuum leak but a vacuum leak should,nt make the light come on. have the codes run. it has something to do with the emissions.

Back