2004 Grand Prix GT1 Engine whining? Normal I believe?

JoeyM

Jul 8, 2008
I own a 2004 Grand Prix GT1 with slightly higher kilometers (I think we're up to around 146K) When accelerating with higher RPMs, usually I'll hear a slight whining sound from within the engine but I'm not too concerned as I think I'm just hearing noises that were always there. When the car is idling, it sounds normal, and even if I rev it a little while in park, I hear nothing that seems out of the ordinary. It cruises fine at just under 2000 RPM going 110km ish and has a very smooth ride. Only when I'm accelerating do I hear it, and it only seems to be heard from within the car.

I think I'm just obsessed with having my car run perfectly and am just starting to hear noises that are completely natural.

If you start listening more often and stop hanging out with your friends all the time playing x box, maybe it wouldn't whine as much.

JC could be right about the steering fluid, or it may be your alternator under a high load demand. When it ages the alternator wears down the contact brushes that make the current. This does cause a whining sound, especially when it jumps into the high amperage output.

Back