87 Honda CRX si not shifting?

Giovani

Feb 9, 2009
it must start in gear with the clutch pedal down

improperly installed clutch cable?

or you knocked off the clutch safety switch from its mount under dash or defective switch

Okay. So I'm having a couple of problems with my car. To start from the beginning.....
Car starts and stays running in neutral only
Car won't start in gear
Car shifts gears when turned off, but not on.

I replaced the clutch cable, didn't work.... New clutch.... Didn't work. The new cable is fully tightened and puts pressure to the clutch pedal, which it didn't before.

Yes, I used a clutch kit so everything was replaced. Now, I'm back to square one (except for now I have pressure on my clutch pedal). Any ideas?

I'm using 10W-30 in my tranny as Chilton told me to (before you ask).

87 Honda CRX si
5 speed
3.7 quart engine
5 quart transmission

Something is keeping the clutch engaged.That would explain the symptoms exactly. Did you install the throwout bearing right?If the cable is tight and you have pressure does it feel normal when you depress it?Like the pressure is releasing the clutch or does it stop travel suddenly?

When you try to start in gear with the clutch pedal depressed does the car move from the starter motor?
If so the clutch is not disengaging.

sounds like the disc was installed backwards or you need to replace/bleed slave cylinder
good luck

You say it stays running in neutral only? So when you start it in 1st say with the clutch pedal depressed, does it turn over, or start then die?

Back