Buying Stock in APPL, newbie question.?

chris

May 12, 2008
I want to buy stock in Apple, but I don't live near Wall Street and know nothing about stock trading. This is what's going through my head:

If $500 enough to get me started?
Should I call a stock broker or use some online service? Which one?
Apple's a strong stock, what's the worst that could happen?
As I understand it, the theory if "Buy Low and Sell High", but what do I do with the money in between? Put in in another stock?

Thanks for helping a n00b out.
I just learned that I have to pay a fee for every time I buy and sell a stock... What online companies charge the lowest fees?
Do stock brokers pay fees?

apple is 218 per stock right now you could buy 2 stocks

soo i would go for something else if i were you

if you want to manage your stocks your self set up a etrade account it alows you to buy and sell online

of find a broker

You need to open up a brokerage account. This will let you buy and sell stocks.

Unfortunately there is a minimum deposit you will need to make in order to open an account up. The only places I know were you could open up an account for $500 or less is.

Scottrade
Zecco
Sharebuilder
Charles Swab (provided you set it up to deposit $100 into your account every month)

It is all done online, just go to one of the sites and sign up. However there are fees and things to consider. Here is a good review of different brokers to help you compare.

http://www.stocks-simplified.com/Internet-Stock-Brokers.html

I wouldn't worry about not being able to get the exact bottom. Any money in the market has the potential to increase in value over the long term. A good way to save is to put money into the plan every month or so so that it builds up over time and you can diversify as you get more money into it.

Another option for investing a small amount of money is to not buy a single stock, but to buy an ETF. These track many different stocks so that you can easily get a diversified portfolio simply buy buying one or two ETFs. Just an idea.

Here is some more on ETFs

http://www.stocks-simplified.com/What_Are_ETFs.html

I hope it all turns out fantastic for you! investing is the first step to wealth. :)

The worst that could happen is that you find yourself the owner of shares in Appell Petroleum (ticker symbol APPL)

If you wanted to buy shares in the computer company Apple then you should be using the symbol AAPL.

Note: in stock trading mistakes cost money. If you type in the wrong ticker symbol you are still responsible for all commissions and losses.

I use TDAmeritrade online. It's safe. However, some brokers have minimum dollar amounts to open accounts. Don't open an account that might have an annual maintenance fee. There are minimum age limits also to open accounts. You will have to have a way to fund the new account. That would be an electronic transfer from a bank to the new broker, or a check in the mail to them.

If you buy $500 worth of APPL, let it sit there. Buying and selling short term is not a good idea. Also, never, ever invest more in the stock market than you can afford to lose. Investing in the market these days is a long term thing, there is no fast money to be made right now.

Do research on the stocks you are interest in.

Back