Cooks and bakers: Do you have a favorite hand mixer that you would recommend

HoraceTongue

Sep 2, 2010
purchasing to...? ...give as a Christmas gift?
My family draws names for Christmas and I got one of my sisters this year. I found out that her old hand mixer "doesn't beat very well anymore" (her words) and she'd like to receive a new one.

I checked a few of my favorite stores online today, just to see what's out there -- and I was amazed that some of these little gadgets are in the triple-digit range! I always thought you could get a good one for about $30 or so. (At least, I think that's what mine cost -- and I've had it for at least 5 years now.)

Do you have a favorite brand you recommend, or are there features that are new/helpful I might be unaware of that you would recommend looking into? Am I missing something about the quality of the product if I choose to buy one in the $35-50 range instead of the ones that run $75-100? What one would you buy, and why?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm already planning to give a gift receipt with it, so she can return/exchange it if she doesn't like it!

I totally agree with the other poster who said Kitchenaid can't be beat! If I were to buy a hand mixer, it would be one of those. I have 2 of their stand mixers and they just keep on going! One is a good 27 years old and the other 20 and both get used a lot.

And they are on sale at Kitchenaid.com - link below. But do spend a little time shopping around online and see what stores have them and at what price in your area. The darn shipping usually gets ya when you order it online.

There is little selection for hand mixers (or features) in that $35 - $50 range. You find the really cheap ones and they might last a year or two. I have a Cuisinart that does great for anything requiring speed like whipping cream but it doesn't have the muscle for mixing cookie dough. The Kitchenaid even comes with bread dough hooks! Yes, they are that tough.

I would just pick one up in the 20 dollar range. They even sell hand mixers at the grocery store and they're less than 20. I spent some money on my KitchenAid stand mixer- I wasn't too worried about the hand mixer- all the major brands at the lesser price point should be just fine.

I have a Black & Decker that I bought at Walmart for about $25.00 seven years ago and it works as well as the day I got it.

Yeah I had to add that if the Kitchenaid hand mixer can withstand mixing cookie dough, that might be the one to get. I only use mine for mashed potatoes and such. I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer for bigger jobs.

Back