Do we cut the vacation short and disappoint a 10 year old?

Andrea1

May 12, 2008
We have been planning a trip in May since December. Basically we have promised to take our 10 year old niece to an amusement park in Orlando if she passed all subjects in school, (she is struggling in school right now). The child's mother is a single parent on a tight budget and no car so they need us to go to cut costs and provide the ride. They will be purchasing season tickets so they can go with us again later on in the year so this trip will cost them over $400 for tickets alone. Now the problem...

My son's fiancee is graduating from collage the day we had set to leave for the park. He became very angry and demanded that we leave a day later. The problem is that the niece and her family will lose a day of vacation time because we can't take an extra day from work to make up for the loss of that graduation day. Maybe it's me, but I think it's unreasonable to scream and demand that I take a day away from the kid's vacation that she had to work so hard to earn, and I thought that the twenty-something "adult" would understand that this has been planned for months. I feel bad my son is so upset, but I don't want to let my 10 year old niece down after she has worked on improving her grades.

My son announced his fiance's graduation date yesterday, we had planned to leave on this week for months and he knew this.
Sing it, it's my son's fiance's graduation, it's not his graduation.

Tell your son to act like the adult that college was suppose to help turn him in to. A graduation ceremony (ceremony as in... congrats, here's your degree, goodbye) is far less important than the hopes and dreams of a 10 year old girl waiting to go on an adventure with her family.

The closer the family, the greater the obligation.

Choose your son's greatest accomplishment over the 10 year old's accomplishment.

Back