Help for sci-fi book?

EC

Jul 27, 2008
So in my book the plot revolves around a post-apocalyptic world. A planet crossed through the solar system, it's gravity flips the magnetic force of the earth, it pulls meteors (meteor may not be the right word, correct me if I'm wrong) behind it, a few of them crashed into the earth and one of them joined the moon in orbiting the earth. The meteors are infested with otherworldly creatures whose survivors repopulate on the earth and begin to take over.
I want this to be plausible, What size of meteor could decimate a large area without destroying the earth entirely? what effect would a magnetic pole shift have? What effect would another 'moon' have on the tides or gravity of the earth? this moon is larger than our current one but much further away.
Would electronics be ridden useless by these occurrences? I would like to have the creatures drawn to the electronics from the high frequencies they let off.
All in all, is this a recipe for the collapse of society, whilst letting pockets of humanity survive in a near primitive state? or is it just too much.
Ohh yes i forgot to mention, the story takes place roughly 80-150 years after this.
This scenario doesn't appear as something people are going through. But it will be referred to.

Back