Hiking the Adirondacks this summer.?

JB1

May 20, 2008
I bought a small cabin the southern adirondacks near Lake George. Not being from the area and having never hiked any part of the Adirondacks I'm concerned about bears. Should I be concerned and what types of precautions should I take?

I've hunted there before. I never saw any bears there, so they probably won't bother you. Bears will normally stay away from humans, unless it is very hungry. To keep them away, make sure to keep all food in the cabin. Don't leave anything outside. Keep your garbage cans tightly closed. If there's a lot of food in the cans, and a bear happens to smell it, it will probably start investigating. Maybe you could keep the trash cans away from the cabin. I think black bears are in the Adirondacks, but I'm not positive. If I'm right, then you shouldn't really worry. They only go after squirrels and small animals, vegetation or carrion. They're not known to attack humans for food.
If you do see a bear, it will probably run away. If it doesn't, and your car or cabin is too far away, you have to appear threatening. The worst thing you can do is run. A bear will easily outrun you, and they may go after you. Animals see running away as a weakness, or easy prey. If you're in a group, stay with the group, because it will make you appear larger. If you have a jacket, spread your jacket out to make you look bigger. Don't bend down or turn around. You want to seem giant and threatening, so the bear will leave you alone.
Carry pepper spray, I hear it is good to fend them off. When going through the woods, you want the bear to be alerted that you're there. It will usually leave when it hears you coming. Don't surprise it by coming out of nowhere. It may feel scared and attack. If you're in a group, it will usually hear you. Wearing bells can help. If you're alone, yell loudly, and make a lot of noise.

Back