How do I get the sound from my LG DVD/Home Theater System to link to the TV audio?

chris

May 12, 2008
Just bought an LG Plasma with the home theater system. Got the surround sound to play out fine when watching a DVD however can't get it to play out when watching normal TV. I have one HDMI cable running from the DVD player to the TV, and one HDMI cable running from the DVD to the TV.

Looking at other forums, advice is to get an optical cable that runs from the TV audio output to the DVD audio in. There is a hole on the back of the TV for the optical cable however no port for it on the DVD player, only standard aux ports.

The home theater is model LG HT306SF and TV model is LG 42LV450U-ZC.

Thanks for any help, not sure if I've included everything but hope so. Bit of a newb so any links to support any cables I need etc will be appreciated.

Thanks
To GrumpyMac: It was included in a bundle with the TV for a small fee, so yes i'm sure it won't be an expensive piece of kit as things go. So do you think there'd be no way of getting the surround sound whilst watching TV?

Connect red & white cables from cable box to sound system for TV channel audio if you have one.

"no port for it on the DVD player, only standard aux ports. "

Let me guess - you spent something like $200 on that crappy "Theater System"?

One of the things you gave up for that low price is the ability to hook other things to that 'system'. It is really a glorified DVD player with cheap attached speakers. It is NOT designed to be the center of a sound system.

Try taking it back and getting a system with at least 1 spare optical input.

Back