How to get Volkswagen Routan radio won't to pair with my bluetooth capable MP3

GeneD

Sep 3, 2008
player? I have a 2011 VW Routan with the fancy in-dash stereo with the RSE, HDD and bluetooth. I have been able to pair with my phone, but wanted to pair with my Alpine PND-K3 MP3 player.

The Alpine player has bluetooth setting where you can activate discoverable mode. Nothing happens with the Routan stereo.

If you go through the Routan voice menu for bluetooth, and say "DEVICE PAIRING" (there is an on-screen menu bluetooth setting menu, but no option for pairing, of if there is, they made it invisible), it will ask you to say a code, and then presumably go into its own discoverable mode. The Alpine player does nothing.

Seems like I can only get these devices to pair as "discoverable" and neither want to be the "discoverer". Isn't that a deviation from the bluethooth peer-to-peer standards? I have a feeling that the issue is the RIDICULOUSLY CRAPPY DOCUMENTATION that Volkswagen has provided with this car making it an exercise in divination to figure how to work this feature. Can anyone with this car, or a similar MP3 pairing issue please help?! Thank you.

Back