I have a friend who was fired for a 1-minute tardy late back from break?

FantasticPlanet

Jan 16, 2009
He said he did get written up twice for tardies from his current boss, but that the boss wasn't consistent with the policies. For example, his boss would mark the time back sometimes when he was late, and other times he would "discipline" him. He even let him make up an entire hour after the shift was over one day.

Anyway, he didn't hear anything about any of this from anybody but the team leader (it was a factory job). Nobody above the team-leader, ever. And in order to bid out on jobs within the factory, you have to be below a certain amount of tardies. He was above this number, and got the job he bid on anyway. None of them were more than 5 minutes. So the only time he ever heard anything about the tardies from anybody was in the last 3 months he was there (1 year 1/2) total, from the guy who fired him, and like I said, nothing from anybody above him, ever.

What do you think about this?
Do you think it sounds like nit-picking?

It sounds to me as though he was repeatedly reminded and he didn't pay enough attention. I think that if the world wasn't experiencing an economic crisis they would have gone easier on him, however, this is all it takes for an employer to have an excuse to fire someone and save money.

If he thinks it's unfair then he should pursue it. I hope he finds work, again, soon.

- Pepper.

Back