I have an in depth question about street bikes.?

Jeromy

Oct 8, 2012
I'm 18 and I've been interested in street bikes since I was 16 since I've finally got a good job I'm looking at getting a 250. I've never ridden a bike or ATV. As experienced riders, what would you reccomend I start out on? I'm open to any suggestions because I know nothing. Also what brand of gear is the best? Thanks for the help.

Just get something cheap. It doesn't matter what brand, because if you have never been on a bike before, odds are you're going to wreck a couple times. While you get confident in riding, shop around and see what bikes you like. Check their specs, read reviews. It's just like people arguing over Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. It's never ending. It's all up to user preferance.

I would reccomend the Kawasaki Ninja 250, any year, or another bike like it..honda,yamaha,etc.

cheap, comfortable, and not too pretty- i'd go with an older dual sport
a 250 v-twin would be ideal to learn on power-wise
if crotch rockets are your thing, check this out
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Forums/82/1/Thread/SO-YOU-WANNA-GET-A-SPORTBIKE-.aspx
moral: v-twins good for learning, inline fours BAD

gear brand doesn't really matter as long as the helmet is DOT approved and the padding is CE rated
all my gear is the in-house brand of my local gear shop (cycle gear)
they offer lifetime warranties on their product and have several local locations which make exchanges convenient as hell- they've already given me a new replacement pair of gloves and pants just because the stitching was coming out in a few places after 1 year

A Motorcycle Safety Foundation class is a good beginning, it will save a lot of skin.
You said nothing about your size, but a small used bike is better than a big one, UNLESS you're a big man
(5'9+) Get a GOOD condition used bike ride it for a year and then sell it to another beginner and buy whatever you like. I don't think you're going to wrap it around a tree @ 80MPH, I think you'll fall over at a stop sign.
Cruisers are more rider and insurance friendly.
Today's Sport bikes are thinly disguised race bikes with lights, designed for experienced riders, but there are 20 questions here from ppl who like you have never ridden anything.
Almost any DOT approved helmet will do, but some are better. In the mid-'80's Bell helmets had their classic advertisement...if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet. The new MODULAR helmets are an improvement.
Lace up or zippered boots are the ER nurses favorites. Gloves should be abrasion resistant, those cloth gardeners gloves aren't worth wearing.

Back