Investing in a Truck with a Freight Company?

Farah

May 20, 2008
Hi,

One of my husband friend told him about investing in a truck with a trucking company or freight company. like if we buy OR finance a Truck and give that TRUCK to any of the trucking company(Fedex, Tyson Food or any other freight liners) they would pay us on per mile basis, But we would need to take care of the Maintenance of the truck which would include Fuel charges, Tires, Insurance, Tax etc. we have heard that either we can provide the trucking company with our own driver and take care of the salary of the driver too. OR we can only Rent our Truck to the company and ask them if they use their own drivers.
We would like to know if anyone has more information on this business and would like to share with us Please?
Truck would be 18 Wheeler.

That is for a truck driver independent contractor. It is hardly an investment if you don't drive the truck. As for without a driver, you wouldn't make any money because your over head is too high. To buy one truck, you would need to buy retail and use a gas station to fuel. Then since your going to have anyone drive at any time, your insurance will be the highest. It would be easier to invest in a transportation company that rents trucks Rider and invest with a strategy with your shares. At least you would have Rider executives, managers and resources etc.. Yu can short sell or go long with shares and the amount of a truck would give you a equal margin to do it as a business, I think. But I never heard of someone Investing in a Truck with a Freight Company that wasn't a truck driver.

I think the friend is either full of hot air or running a scam. Ask yourself why this would make any sense. If it was a worthwhile investment with low risk and good return, why wouldn't the company do it themselves? If not the company, then why not an investment company?....or a funds manager?....or a truck leasing company?...or an independent trucker who wants to retire or stay home for a year? If this made any sense, all the opportunities would already be taken.

Back