Is Kobe Bryant the most overrated basketball player of all-time?

Swsehsae

Nov 12, 2011
Don't get me wrong, Kobe is one of the best players of all time, but also the most overrated, by his fans and by some analysts. He rode Shaq to 3 rings, and the 2002 ring was rigged. Also, what did Kobe do when Shaq left? Nothing. He averaged about 35 points per game, but his team still got bounced in the first round. Lebron led a worse roster to the FINALS in 2007.

Yes, he is. I know I'll get heat for saying this, but it's the truth. People compare him, actually compare him, to Michael Jordan, when he's nowhere close in any regard. Kobe isn't top 10 scorers per game all time, and his shooting percentage is mediocre. He doesn't rebound, is a terrible teammate and can be lax at times on defense. He has great basketball IQ, but I rarely see that put to work. He likes to rely on his jumper, which is most likely the biggest factor in his only decent shooting percentage.

He's good, and when he gets hot, he's unstoppable. But he is also very overrated.

Alright, LeBron's roster in 2007 was MUCH, MUCH better than Kobe's roster post-Shaq.

Kobe's starting PG? Smush Parker, out of the league playing overseas before the age of 27.
Kobe's starting C? His best starting C during that span was Kwame Brown.
Kobe's starting SF? Luke Walton.
Bench guys? Chris Mihm, Devean George, Brian Cook, Maurice Evans.. Never heard of them? Not surprising, none of them ever averaged more than 9 points a game in their entire careers.

Kobe had a team full of guys who shouldn't have even been in the league, let alone playing serious minutes. And Kobe was still leading those guys to 45 wins.

In 2007, LeBron had Larry Hughes, who was one of the top 10 SGs in the league. He had Zydrunas Ilgauskas, multiple All-Star still in his prime. Oh, and the whole "getting to the Finals things".. That year, the first 2 teams he beat in the playoffs didn't even have a winning record, then he beat a Pistons team that was about to be broken up and rebuilt, and then was swept in the Finals once he played a real team. Had LeBron faced the Suns in the first round, he would have been knocked out in the first round, just like Kobe.

And the whole "rode Shaq to 3 rings".. Come on dude. Penny Hardaway was an amazing player, and he didn't win a ring with Shaq. It is so hard to win 1 championship, and these guys won not 1, not 2, but 3. And by the 3rd championship, Kobe was the best player on those Lakers teams, even if Shaq won that Finals MVP.

Kobe is one of the best players of all time. He isn't the greatest player ever, but he is top-10, and that is where most people (smart people, not dumb Kobe fans who think he is the best player ever), that is where most people put him.

Kobe had Luke Walton in his starting lineup

lebron did not have a worse roster

First off do some Kobe fans overrate him, yes they do but all great players have fans that do that and Kobe has a much better case of being compared to Michael Jordan then Lebron does. As someone else mentioned before in 07 on the 1st 2 rounds Cleveland beat 2 teams with losing records and the Pistons were on their way of being rebuilt if Lebron and his cleveland team played in the Western Conference they would of been bounced out in the 1st round

No. I can't really be bothered to get into it in detail, but he is one of the smartest players out there.

Back