Is the .308 Remington Model 700 VTR a good hunting rifle for a beginner hunter in

Milton

Nov 21, 2008
southern California? I have 4 years of shooting experience (I used to be a Marine). So I am familiar with 5.56mm rifles and machine guns as well 7.62 and .50cal. But I have never shot a bolt action rifle for hunting purposes. I live in Southern California.

308 has moderate recoil,even in a bolt action rifle;if I remember offhand it has 17 foot/pounds recoil. I would suggest using 165 grain bullets as max weight-retains good momentum,has very good Sectional Densities (SD) and Ballistic Coefficients (BC)- depending on design. 150 grain have lower SD & BC numbers and also lose momentum faster. 180s will normally impinge on the short action case powder capacities. 165 grain is normally a sweet spot for 308 and 30-06 rifles too. Since shot placement is actually more important than the grain difference in hunting loads you will want to try a few different loads if your accuracy isn't what you want. Handloading takes care of that issue,but most people don't reload.
Be aware of is proper scope relief and cheek weld-you don't want a scope cut. Easiest thing to do is take the empty rifle and shoulder it with eyes closed,open your eyes and adjust the scope position from there-and don't "sneak up" on the scope while settling in.
The Rem 700 VTR is a good rifle,solidly built,but be aware you will need good hearing protection with the port system in the barrel. I suggest either electronic muffs or quality "foamies" on a string to use even in hunting-put them on/in just before the shot.
Expect Minute of Arc (MOA) or close to one inch groups with ammo that matches your barrel harmonic,but you might not get that with factory ammo right away if ever-but it should be two inch groups easy enough,
You might need to use non-lead bullets where you shoot/hunt;Nosler and Winchester make copper or gilding metal bullet cartridges,and others use the Barnes copper bullets for their California shooters.

Well, as a Marine, I am sure that by now you have realized that the.308 Winchester is a very accurate caliber. Popular too. For hunting purposes, Remington makes a darn good bolt action rifle. Bolt actions are perhaps the most popular platform when it comes to hunting. They are reliable, accurate, sturdy, and can take a beating. Now the Model 700 VTR (Varmint Tactical Rifle), is what it's name implies.......... a varmint rig. Although, in the .308, it is suitable for deer and the like. So yeah, if you like the feel and look of the rifle, go ahead and get it. Nothing wrong with using it for big game hunting.

Back