Is the any relation between religion and climate?

Mirza

Aug 27, 2009
Most of religions were from Middle East. Middle East generally has a warm and dry climate. Also India has warm climate. Russia is always cold, is that why there many Marxists and atheists in Russia? Do you see any relation with the climate and religion?
The earth is becoming warmer and warmer; does it mean we are going to become more and more religious?!
Well, MrzBoopie, I'm reading a Persian book right now named "Ancient religions of Iran and Mesopotamia" by Mehrdad Izadpanah. The writer believes that the Aryans who settled in Iran had to face a much tougher way of living and climate than the Aryans who settled in India. So, Iranians gradually made myths according to their own ways of living. For example they believed Rain, earth, light and etc. were divine, where as drought, illness and death were evil. These myths then became a part of different ancient religions in Persia.
The writer believes that the Aryans, who settled in India with a more humid climate, had easier lives, so they started philosophizing and different ascetic ethic.

You are perfectly right what regards the spreading of Religions in Middle East.
Also right - but to differentiate - the supposition of relation between
Religion and climate.
There is also a relation between Religion and richess (also other factors
are evident)
What regards your last question : no, I don't think so.

While climate cannot be directly connected to religion, climate can be connected to personality. In general those who live in cold, harsh climates tend to have colder personalities, while those in warmer climates have warm, accepting personalities. Those in the warm climates may be predisposed towards accepting new ideas such as religion.

There may well be a correlation between the measure of temperature and an proportionate measure to religiosity, however subtle.

I share the view that there is.

I don't know,because the Vikings was living in a pretty cold area and they were very religious,even Eskimos had their own religion that they followed strictly.

P.S Why is it that some of the desert religions dress so inappropriately,like the muslims with their long dresses and scarves,even the jews cover up their hair and were long skirts.

ya, not directly but it effects passively
cause various religion practices are based on the various climatic conditions

That is known in logical circles as the bad reason fallacy. Let me show you:
Warm areas are religious
Russia is not warm
Therefore Russia is non religious.
See what I mean? When you look at it, the validity of the argument is flawed with two false premises and a false conclusion.
Parts of Russia are warm and have a strong religious sense. Even the really cold areas tend to be 'religious'.
So no, I don't think weather has any relation to spiritual matters, but in matters of rational thinking we have something else though

well normally as Humans we enjoy warm climates and civilizations would start to build in warmer places like Egypt now we look and a country like Germany pretty cold place and they were Barbarians for the beginning of their time so its really those who settled first had religion.

I wouldn't think so.

I think the more obvious link would be to do with area. Religion is usually linked with poor education standards too. If the people in this world are getting less intelligent then it's time to start to question if religion is on the rise.

Well............
In the Mediterranean, (southern), religions,hell is hot.
In the Nordic, (northern), religions, hell is cold.
Climate may shape religions, but heat doesn't necessarily
increase gullibility.

Sure, if you exclude all other religions from differing climates then you can come to whatever conclusion you want.

How do you take into account that the Norse, from the bitter northern European territories, were Germanic pagans, and that Eskimos still hold a high degree of Shamism?

All you've really said here is that Middle Eastern cultures have a tendancy for Middle Eastern religion, which isn't really saying much.

I don't know, it may. Interesting point though. I also found interesting what et3rn4l said, do you have evidence or proof or studies that would make that a reliable theory?

Back