IT Guy puzzled about a DVD drive.?

Brandonn

Jun 11, 2008
I work for an IT Department and even I am puzzled by this case.
I have a computer with 2 hard drives (C,D) and 2 disc dives (E,F). E:\ is a DVD Player. It has the codecs embedded from Cyberlink's Powerdvd. Recently, it quit reading DVD discs. It'll read a cd with no problem. But DVDs it won't even recognize the discs. They are legit movie dvds and they have no scratches, and work in other dvd players.
What the heck is going on with it? Any ideas? I can get a new dvd drive tomorrow but I'd hate to pay for it if there is a fix.
I googled and found how to do that, couldn't find that tab
I uninstalled/reinstalled the device from device manager.. it recognizes as a CD-ROM? I know for a fact it's a DVD player o_O
I just want to thank all of you for your information! This is Windows XP Professional SP3, sorry for not stating before. I'm checking registry now, thanks.

I've seen this happen before. Windows is quirky. What you want to try is going to the registry and deleting the upper and lower filters registry values. You didn't say what OS you're using, but if you google 'remove upper and lower filters' and your OS name you'll find directions.

Do you have another computer you can install the drive on to test it and see if the DVD works there?

Back