Jumping from a 200cc street and trail to 1000cc Sports bike?

mmmmmm3

May 21, 2008
Ive been riding my dirt bike for about a year and a half now and ive learned really quick. i cant use my bike on the highway b/c its not made for highway use. anyways, im think about getting a yamaha r6 but theres none for sale for cheap enough (almost 8 grand) but there seems to be a r1 (1000cc) for about 4000 bucks. i was wondering if it would be safe for me riding a 1000cc around if i was just taking it easy and not doing anything crazy. considering i can drive my dirt bike like nothing

200cc trail bike.. to an R1 sounding like a mobile donor..

see if you can find a 250cc--500cc bike & take it for a test ride..

the power of the R1 is probably about 3 times as quick...

the R6 & R1 are not bikes to learn on..

the first bike i rode was a 2004 ZXR10 i only ever rode a CRF 250R (raced). i had to change my underwhear after (jk)! verry fast and fun i wnt one but cant insure it ($24,000/yr yes $24,000 NOT $2400) ur lucky. you will like a 600 better, but if 1000 is all u can get it can be done, hope you dont get raped by insurance companies, i had to settle on a 09 250r ninja ;( fun bike :) lacks power

Take a motorcycle course and buy a proper beginner bike. Save the R1 for your second real bike.

Your time on a dirt bike will be handy in helping you get through the training course, but it will have taught you absolutely nothing about riding in traffic, scanning and recognizing road hazards, lane position, emergency braking, accident avoidance or any of the hundreds of things a rider needs to know.

It's fine just don't get all crazy and try stuff that you're not ready for. Just be responsible and respect the power that bike has.... good luck and ride safe...

As long as you don't start revving it like crazy down the main road, there should be much difference, just quicker push offs

Back