Lower leg pain when running (Newbie)?

AndyJohnson

Apr 26, 2010
I've recently joined a gym and started using the treadmill for the first time (ive never really run in the past).

Ive got a programme which gives me intervals of 2mins 5kmh then 2mins 10kph alternating for 10mins.

The first time I did it (about 6 weeks ago) I was only able to get about half way through the first fast interval before the fronts of my ankles started to ache and the muscles started having trouble lifting my feet up, so I stopped.

I've been on the treadmill a number of times since and although I'm able to get further before my ankles get weak, i'm finding that almost immediately when I start to run, I'm getting pain on impact at the lower front of my shin which after a few mins gets very uncomfortable so i have to stop.

I have had a PT look at my gait and its pretty good apart from a very slight toe-out on one of my feet but not enough to cause any concern. Ive heard that it might be shin-splints but when i researched shinsplints they seem to be on the inner shin whereas mine is almost inline with the bone, if not slightly toward the outside of the leg.

Anyone else suffered or fixed this before? I was to keep running to see if i overcome it but dont want to make it worse.

Back