Lukaku called teacher to say ‘I told you so’ after signing for Chelsea

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada

A couple of years ago, 18-year-old Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku visited London on a school trip and TV cameras were there to capture his awe for Stamford Bridge and statement of intent to one day play for Chelsea while he was there. And now that he has officially accomplished that goal by signing for the club this summer, he had an "I told ya so" to slap on his former teacher.

From Sporting Life:

We were visiting the city and I didn't know we'd be going to Chelsea on the day," he said.

"I saw a big blue building and thought what is this? As we got closer I saw it was Stamford Bridge. I thought 'wow!'

"I couldn't speak because I always wanted to come here. When my class went to the dressing room I stayed behind on the pitch looking.

"I imagined myself playing there alongside Didier Drogba and the other lads.

"A teacher asked me 'what are you doing here?'. I told him that one day I'd play here.

"When I signed for Chelsea, I called the teacher and said 'I told you I'd play for Chelsea!'.

"I took 300-400 pictures. I still have them on my PC."

If 300-400 pictures sounds like a bit much, then you really don't know just how obsessed he has been with Chelsea in general and Didier Drogba in particular...

"Three or four years ago I had two jerseys of Didier Drogba, one to sleep in and one to wear in the street when I was playing with my friends," he said.

"I had a poster above my bed of Didier and a poster on my right side of Nicolas Anelka.

"I always wore the same boots as Didier. They were Nike, but when I signed my contract with Adidas I changed!

"I'd watch Chelsea train on Chelsea TV. No-one else would do that. People called me crazy, my mum called me crazy.

"I said it was normal, I want to know what it's like there so that I'm ready when I go there. I was a true crazy.

"When you are a true fan of a team and you can play for them, it's the best thing in the world.

"But you must also be focused - I'm not a fan anymore, I'm a player."

As great as it is that a kid who was such a big fan of the club now plays alongside his heroes, Didier Drogba might want to keep an eye on Romelu just to make sure he doesn't revert back to being that "true crazy" super fan and try to smuggle him back to Belgium and keep him in a giant glass jar in his bedroom.

Back