Newbie at dogs.. anyone with a dog could answer? prefrebly husky?

Ehsan

Jul 1, 2008
My parents have finally agreed on letting me have a dog. But there's conditions such as he can't enter the house. Obviously i will bring him in on cold nights etc. but is it really safe? i want a husky.. will it be okay for him to sleep outside as they are snow dogs after all? Also how is a husky different to other dogs? What do i have to do to start off? such as jabs etc? i have NO IDEA about dogs so ANY information would be useful! By the way, i live in sheffield in England so the climate is mostly cold.
Thankyou so so much! <3
My garden is really big with a huge grass patch and a decking where the dog house will be. so that's not a problem. Also there is a massive park nearby (5min walk) so i could take it for walks over there?

If you train him enough, and he likes you and your parents, he should be okay inside the house. Try and get the smallest and oldest one possible, so as to not to cause too much trouble. If it's cold where you live, get a large, spacious doghouse or one that you can manually shut a door on. There are also special houses with thermostats built in, but they're pretty expensive. Let him stay inside for a week or two in the house. After that, Bring the doghouse inside your house(So you might want a small and easier one. to move ). He might start to explore the house a bit. By this time he should know you enough from feeding and taking him for walks, so being aggressive towards people should not be a big problem. After another week or two, if he is good enough in the house, move the doghouse back outside. Wait a few days, and you should be able to let him do well in both his and your house. Get a female too, or if you want a male, try and get a really small dog he could befriend, which lowers his agression but raises his happiness. And that small dog should probably be female.

The husky is a breed meant for cold weather and should be fine outdoors. As long as you ALWAYS provide the dog with shelter (dog house) . If the weather is extremely frigid one night you may want to bring the dog into the house. If many nights at a time are unbearablly cold you may wish to consider a heater for the dog house. Could be expensive but worth it.

That's not very fair! If you can't even bring him inside then what the heck is the point in having one?? Dogs need attention and love, not be be chained out in the cold all night and day. Try going for a pet you can actually keep inside of the house. :)

Make sure you adopt a great dog!

Huskies -- come with known medical problems, google 'husky medical problems' to be aware of what they are.

They ALSO have a high prey drive meaning they can and will kill cats they were not raised with. This is not a good thing for the neighbor's pets.

They WILL NOT be able to be recalled when off leash - meaning they will not come when called, and this puts them at great risk if they're after a squirrel and run into traffic to get it.

They are excape artists -going under or climbing over fences. To keep them in a back yard they have to be kenneled or on a tie out to stay on the property.

They shed worse than almost any other dog out there, they have a double coat and are always loosing fur/hair.

If you want a complete lowdown on the breed, google 'husky breed rescue' and talk to those people, they can tell you the pros and cons of the breed and they won't mince words.

Before you get that dog, read up on it and go to a few local shelters. Get a dog that will be your buddy, and still be able to romp in the yard, since he / she will have to be outside. ALSO: Cold freezes water, your dog will need fresh water. make sure he has heartworm protection, he will be OUTSIDE. I wish you well, get a shelter dog, they're the BEST!

Back