PSI for Michelin tires on big SUV?

Veronicka

Apr 25, 2013
I drive a 2000 Ford Explorer with relatively new tires with about 85% tread left on them. On the door it says 26 PSI for the tires. I checked my tires today and they were at about 20 PSI. I put them to 30 and called it good for now. My gas mileage has been really crappy and I know it's from the tires. My uncle (experienced mechanic) said that 26 PSI seems too low. Should the PSI be up more? If so, how much more?

I'd crank those Michelin tires up to 35 pounds! It will help your mileage. I've never seen a recommendation for only 26 psi.

Tire pressure on the side of the tire is the MAXimum pressure you should ever put in that tire.
You can safely go 5 PSI under that max.

The label on the door should also list the size of the tire with the PSI recommendation. If you are using the same size tire as the label, then use the recommended pressure. I doubt it was 26 PSI.

I would think 30 would be fine. You can 32, would not go higher. Higher tire pressure would not make that much of a difference maybe 5%. There are pluses and minuses (ie braking distances and handling). A Ford Explorer would suck gas in the first place. If you feel it really sucking more gas then it normally should then get a tune-up or check the wheel bearings.

Back