Roger Federer loses to Tomas Berdych for the second time in a row?

StickittotheMAN

Feb 8, 2013
Does this seem to worry anyone? Personally, I think the match was his. He sort of gave it away, but at the same time it didn't look worrying to me because at least he had the chances there. In a major he's not going to let those go.

Do you think he's just holding back for the Majors or he is truly going to start losing to the top ten on a consistent basis?

He didn't give it away. Berdych EARNED the win by playing clutch tennis. Federer started off strong, but Berdych was better from then on. He really fought hard and deserved a win. Also, this isn't worrying because this isn't the first time he lost to Berdych twice in a row, he also lost to him twice in a row in 2010 (Miami and Wimbledon). Berdych always seems to play his best versus Federer, but usually chokes. On the 6 occasions that he has won, he managed to keep his head cool and focus on important points.

He is definitely not holding back for Majors. He wouldn't be entering tournaments like Dubai and Rotterdam if he were. He seems to be playing in non-Slam events better these days anyway. His best tennis last year wasn't Wimbledon, it was the beginning of the season when he won Rotterdam, Dubai and Indian Wells in a row (and Cincinnati later on in the year when he didn't get broken the entire tournament!).

And I doubt he will start losing to top ten players on a regular basis. He is too good of a player to let that happen, even at this stage of his career. For example, players like Ferrer and Tipsarevic who are in the Top 10 have basically 0 chance of beating him. He also wins the majority of his matches versus Berdych, Del Potro and Tsonga.

Back