Steering problem 1973 galaxy boat- mercruiser stern drive?

LIMA45e05e18e77

Oct 11, 2010
No power steering on that oldie! you probably have a seized steering cable or helm. Remove the cable from the tiller arm on the transom plate, and see if the wheel turns. If it is the cable or helm the steering will still be stiff. Replace the helm and cable as a package. a good replacement will be a Teleflex Safe-T-QC system, fairly easy to replace. http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex-Safe-T-QC-Quick-Connect-Steering-System-Package/dm/view_id.40298

If the steering moves freely with the cable disconnected, the problem is the pivot bushings in the outdrive, a big job to replace, and probably not worth the money for an older boat such as yours.

I have an old bow rider boat given to me , a 1973 Galaxy stern drive, inboard/outboard, 4cyl motor, Mercruiser. It runs fine but now that I've had it sitting for a year in my yard we went to get it ready for the water and we can not move the steering wheel left or right. The hydraulics raise and lower the outdrive OK but I know nothing about boats. Is this steering power assisted or just cable? What could possibly be wrong?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Back