the flapjack thread......

Nooooooooooo flapjacks aren't pancakes.I don't know,you Americans!

This is flapjack:

Awww you know Im only kidding you!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm pancakes!!!
So if you call pancakes flapjacks what do you call pancakes?

I will always remember the pancakes I had when I was in the New York,staying at the YMCA, absolute heaven! (the pancakes,not the YMCA!)

i call them pancakes just thought they were the same sorry my mistake

your to sweet to be bad

gotta love the syrup...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Okay. So... only a year later, I'm going to try and make these tonight... wish me luck. I don't speak metric. And yeah.

Yay! Let me know how you get on Steve!

I think it's flapjack season again now,going to make some this weekend I think, I need energy

I made some the other day with raisins and also lots of chopped dried apricots (the kind with no preservatives which are really soft and succulent)

Fabulously addictive!

Okay, so I played around with this yesterday. I started doing the math and realized that DAYUM!!! These aren't all that good for you. Well, not too bad, but that's a buttload of butter, Lou! I also did some quick math and realized that you have very little protein in your bar. Lots of carbs from the oats and the sugars.

After doing some conversions, and some substitutions for ingredients that I prefer, I ended up with something like this:

1 cup natural applesauce (substitute for the shortening/butter)
1 cup applejuice (to add a little more liquid to the mix)
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs flax seeds (ground)
4 scoops chocolate protein mix
3 tbs agave nectar

I mixed the dry ingredients up in one bowl and the wet in another, then mixed them all together and baked them in a 9x13 pan at 325F for 40 minutes.

I ended up with 12 bars. According to my math, they have about 211 calories each, 22g carbs and 12g protein per bar. Not too bad, although I'd like to reverse the carbs to protein.

I haven't had a chance to eat one of these bars yet (they cooled last night and I split for work and forgot this morning). They look pretty sweet. The agave nectar is AWESOME. I love honey, but I love the agave nectar more. It's delicious and added a lot of sweetness.

As for trimming off some of the carbs, I think I can cut back on the brown sugar, or cut it out completely, add some whey protein, and still be okay taste-wise, but that's presuming these taste as good as they smelled last night. I'm also planning to use dried cranberries in lieu of the cherries. The cranberries are just as good, but have fewer calories and less sugar. I'll give you guys my honest opinion tonight or tomorrow.

Ultimately, using the rolled oats as a base is going to jump the carbs up there, but they're good carbs with lots of fiber. I'm okay with that.

Okay guys. I ate one of the bars for breakfast this morning and they were terrific. Chewy inside, crunchy outside and reasonably healthy.

I'm very interested in your take, Lou, seeing that your recipe was the inspiration for this last one.

I wrote them up on my blog, along with a lot more detail about what I like and don't like. Check it out if you can. I'd appreciate it. I'm really enjoying playing around with these recipes, so if anyone has suggestions or tips, other recipes or comments let me know here or on the blog.

Thanks!

Ahh sorry Steve, been busting my ass in the gym

Tbh when I made those from my recipe I didn't have nutrution in mind really,I just liked them It's a different matter now though, Im training way more and really need to watch what I eat (which really isnt enough at the moment!) I would like to try your reciped actually or something similar as it seems far more sensible!

Will make some mid week and let you know how it went! I have been making a lot of blueberry muffins recently, quite good ones with barely any sugar, got my kf teacher hooked

I'm gonna have to quote a genius here..

"We don't LIKE muffins ‘round here! We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns! And DEFINITELY. NO. SMEGGIN’. FLAPJACKS!"
- Lister, Red Dwarf.

Back