Tottenham Riots

The pro-democracy protests only turned violent when the authorities and pro-Government gangs attacked the protesters. The protests in Tahrir Square were completely peaceful for days at a time.

I always knew the UK was a rough place but now its getting to be really violent like America and France with riots and all. Think ill stay in Canada.

You mean like this:
‪Real life "phaser"‬‏ - YouTube

Or this:
‪Vehicle-Mounted Active Denial System (V-MADS)‬‏ - YouTube

or this:
‪Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) G20 Pittsburgh‬‏ - YouTube
(ok that's acoustic rather than laser but still cool)

or this:
‪Laser Energetics Dazer Laser In Action !!!‬‏ - YouTube

Personally, considering there are riots going on as I'm typing in Earlsfield and lewesham(sp) I think they should kick it old school with water cannons, tear gas, rubber bullets and dogs lol. Actually it might be looting without the riots, but still.

These are rare events. The UK's crime rate is as low now as in 1970. This is an event that is grabbing headlines but it doesn't reflect daily life in the majority of the country.

The Bear.

I saw the movie about the Bradford riots. Apparently they were triggered when some white supremists stabbed a Pakistani man in Bradford England. The film made me sorry for the girl who was treated like **** at work just because she is of Pakistani decent and Pakistanis were rioting.
So anyway what sparked Tottenham riots?

Police shot a known drug dealer who opened fire at them during an arrest. Family and friends claimed he was a saint, some people protested the shooting, others took the chance to go ape **** and it escalated from there.

He wasn't white so its possible but I haven't read anything about racial tension. Might be something for the rioters who joined in but not for the original protests, they were just because people who knew him didn't believe he used the gun he carried for "protection" on police.

I'm just nipping into town...anyone want anything. Big screen TV? Genuine Riot shield? No?

FAO WMP - I'm joking.

I passed through (well almost) about 15 minutes ago , i was turned away from the town centre , but as i was waiting 6 riot vans passed , the helicopter was constantly circling and officers were turning people away who were on foot also.

Back