Traveling with an ESA dog.?

LaLa

May 14, 2008
I have extreme anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder with a history of panic attacks and fainting. I have an emotional support dog who will be flying with me for the first time tomorrow, and I am terrified of the whole process. I have a note from my therapist that meets Deltas guidelines, and I've called the airlines twice and spoken to a supervisor to make sure that was all I needed, however, I'm afraid of the way I am going to be treated.. The last time I flew Somewhere, I left my last dog with my mom and he got killed. I ended up in the hospital from one of the security gates falling on my head, breaking my neck. So you can imagine the stress of flying and leaving him gives me.

I am a 23 year old girl and my dog is a 4 pound yorkie. I'm afraid they are going to judge me, think I'm "playing the system" or that he's not a real ESA. Even worse, they don't let me on the plane.

My question is, has anybody ever flown with an ESA? And with delta? What was your experience, and what was the process like? Am I stressing over nothing, or is it as bad as I'm imagining it might be? Help! :-/

Back