Why do mothers gossip about their grown children, even after we've begged her to

Alison

Jul 7, 2008
stop for the last 15 years? if I tell her something, then say, "I'm begging you - please don't tell anyone, it's embarrassing." and two hours later my dad said, "well, she told everyone at dinner." (to a large group of relatives at a restaurant). For 15 years I've stopped telling her everything, and it makes her so angry. I explain that what I tell her becomes everybody's business. I studied overseas for six years and when I returned, I tried to confide in her again, hoping we'd become a bit closer. Nope! She didn't even last a week. After I told her about bad experiences I went through overseas and ho alone I was, she told every friend, every family member.... It's like open field day. I hate her. I love her,but I can not stand her.

why why why are mothers in their 50s and 60s gossiping and belittling their grown children?

when women get older, daily gossip becomes their oxygen and they need it to survive.
If this is bothering you very bad then you need to go to her and ask her why she puts you through this humiliation

OMG!!!! I sooooo know where youre coming from! I dont really have an "answer" for you as, obviously, Im going thru a bit of the same....but just wanted to offer my support and let you know you are not alone!! Lol! Will be anxious to see the answers you get as I could use sum of the same advice! Good luck hun!

your mom is a known gossip, and loves to chatter it seems without care about her family and knows no sense of confidentiality. So give her what she needs to know and that is it. Don't tell her stuff, don't vent private stuff, don't give her tools for her to go run with and blow her mouth off like the wind.
You know how she is, so .... and you can't change her..... so it seems you need to follow her lead and never give her that info that makes her crazy to explode with new info for her to be the town crier.
Some people are like that. She happens to be your mom. Don't put all moms in their 50's and 60's in this gossip box. There are way more women in that category that respect their adult children and keep what they say in confidentiality exactly that, confidential.
Accept the things you cannot change (your moms will to gossip) and the courage to change the things you can (Your own ability to keep silent about those things) and the wisdom to know the difference. You will have to find less private ways to bond with your mom, shallow, light, topics and some people just can't be trusted or able to keep deep topics private.

Back