Would you consider Blade Runner to be the finest Sci-fi picture ever ...?

Sandy

May 12, 2008
If not ... what is ... ?
I like all the movies suggested ... I don't know cat from outer space and Stigmata though ...
I like all the movies suggested ... I don't know cat from outer space and Stigmata though ...

(((((Sandy))))) - The very first time I ever saw Blade Runner, I was doing acid and tripping my brains out. What an experience. I could not tell what was "movie" and what I was just seeing. It was amazing.

Aside from that, Blade Runner is an excellent movie.

But - the one that is exalted for me above all others is "Altered States". I love that movie.

Stigmata was good - you'd like that.

"Powder" was super-excellent.

Little-remembered, underrated movie: "Runaway". Bit old - Tom Sellick, and Kirstie Alley when she was super-skinney, and Gene Simmons (yeah - KISS) doing well as the bad guy. (The little robotic spiders always stick out in my mind. LOL)

Always had a soft spot for "Logan's Run", too.

Blade Runner is a fantastic movie, but I think that the greatest sci-fi movie thus far would be Star Wars, the original (A New Hope), from 1978, the un-enhanced version. That movie took off for a reason... it was a classic story, that people around the world could relate to and embrace.
It's hard to believe that George Lucas went on to create so much drivel. Empire was awesome, Jedi was fair, and let's not talk about the "prequels"... At the beginning, when he had something to prove, he was at his best.

@Stimpy - I almost picked Alien...

without over-thinking it, yes i would agree that Blade Runner is the greatest sci-fi film ever made

Yes, Blade Runner rocks.

But I agree with the majority, you just can't beat Star Wars the original.

I don't know where you are posting from, but for television Sci-Fi, Doctor Who is the benchmark. Star Trek a lagging second. IMHO.

Possibly, but I'd rank 2001 a Space Odyssey in front of it.

Actually, Forbidden Planet from the 50s isn't bad either, the plot was mostly lifted from Shakespeare's The Tempest. The scenes inside the tunnels of the Krell are beautifully done, though some of the rest is not so wonderful. See from about 0.42 seconds on this clip

Considering that Star Wars is more Fantasy than Sci-Fi, yes, Blade Runner would be the best Sci-Fi movie up until now.

Back