A Classic Car expert question, or a mechanic?

ananyaburman101

May 6, 2012
Please answer if you know what youre talking about

I have fallen in love with classic cars. I'm talking 1970's and earlier. Now there's a Cadillac deville 1972 coupe under my nose. It's costing $2000 and the seller is claiming all it needs is a "fuel pump". Now the truth is that i have no knowledge in cars whatsoever. All i know is that the engine the Cadillac is 8.7 liters, a gas guzzler. My question was if i wanted the engine to be swapped, to something more conservative, what, and how do i do it. Is it even possible. If i were to want a 2.5L < V6 engine with about 80,000kms on it, how do i move from there. Is it going to be a hassle? Will there be any issues at all once the engine is in place. Again, i do apologize that i may sound really dumb, but do let me know. also, i plan on using this car for school transportation. So mostly highway kms. What's a financially beneficent option?

Not sure about that Caddy, but I know in my '83 Camaro the fuel pump is located in the fuel TANK and it's quite a hassle to get to because it requires removal of the fuel tank itself, making it a costly replacement. Better make sure where your fuel pump is located before making that purchase.

Back