best cruise line to take?

nadegep

Mar 7, 2013
never been on a cruise before. My sister and I are looking to take our first cruise vacation to the caribbeans. I've heard of some bad experiences. I just want to go somewhere that's clean with great services and good food. and safe :) any suggestion will help. (what are some things to look out for?)

---
For me the best cruise line is Norwegian.

see link below for more info about them
http://www.cruisenorwegian.com/default.asp?cid=136KAYOT052620090001ALL&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=norwegian_cruise_line&cm_mmc=Paid_Search-_-CONLY-Bing-_-Nonbranded-_-norwegian%20cruise%20line-e&dtp=norwegian%20cruise%20line|pcrid|1078555170|mt|e|mkwid|exC8CGiP2

To begin with, it's "Caribbean" not Caribbeans". You didn't say how old you are, or what you're into, which can have a bearing on the cruise line for you. Carnival is obviously the least expensive, and arguably the best for kids as their kids' programs are pretty good. It's also good if you like partying a lot. Disney is also great for kids, but pricey.
Royal is a step up, better food and overall quality. They also have the biggest ships with the most on-board activities. Princess is quite similar to Royal, but the ships aren't as large.
Norwegian is in about the same class, but a lot depends on the ship. We did one of the smaller ships out of Baltimore and I was underwhelmed. Maybe some of the larger ones from other ports would be better.
Holland is good, but hews toward an older demographic, from what I understand.
My personal favorite is Celebrity. We're going on our 4th Celebrity this fall. The ships we go on are a little smaller than some, so they don't have all the zip lines, wave pools, whatever, but the food and service is excellent, the ship and cabins are tastefully decorated, and it's just a very relaxing place to be. Plus they have the thalasotherapy pool, which is amazing. Celebrity has decent kids programs, but it isn't all about kids, so there tend to be fewer of them. My experience on Carnival was that some parents think the other passengers and crew will babysit. I saw 8 year olds running on the top deck at 3 AM. I have kids, but I can't imagine a universe where I would let them run wild on a ship. I don't go on vacations to get hassled by other people's kids. Or babysit them.

We like the "port-intensive" cruises, 5 ports in 7 days with a fairly long period of time in the ports. We like the cruise out of Puerto Rico; the minute you set foot on the ship you are in the islands.
Get an idea of what you are interested in, then go on cruise critic and read reviews. There's something for every taste.

Back