BUICK LaSABRE CAR AUTO REPAIR QUESTION: Service Engine light was on. I...

DreMike

Oct 28, 2008
...took it to get diagnosed and....(more)? I was told it now needs TWO things (and this is a 2004 car with 65500 miles on it)- a CATALYTIC CONVERTER (which is still under warranty), and some type of FLOW VALVE. The guy said the part/labor for the valve is between $800 and 900 because he has to drop the transmission to replace this valve. Three weeks ago, I took it to STS and was told is needed the Cat. Converter--NO mention of this $800+ valve. Now, the diagnostic test showed BOTH - the CC and the "air-flow"?? valve (I can't remember the exact name).
Does anyone know if this is a "normal" thing to bo bad on this type of car? What can cause it to go bad? Is $800+ a "normal" charge??
ANY info on this would be appreciated. I've been told it's a bit odd the CC needs to be replaced on a 04 car with 55K miles....but what about this other thing?? Thanks so much in advance.
Correction: It's 65K miles, not 55K. Please no remarks about American versus foreign cars!! One thing at a time! THANKS!
I'LL GET THE EXACT NAME OF THE PART TOMORROW. IF YOU COULD PLEASE CHECK BACK AFTER 6 PM EST, I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
GOD BLESS.
The Check Engine light has been on for about 4 months. The car wouldn't start a week ago after I got gas. After letting it sit about 20 minutes, it did turn over easily.

I am not a mechanic, but am in an automotive field. The cat could be a problem. My wife drives a Saturn with the engine light on and it is the cat. It has 67,000 miles on it. Not sure about the air flow valve. Have heard of O2 sensors causing engine lights.

Back