can't hear people speak on Blue Ray?

Love2Answer

May 14, 2013
I have a new led tv with an added soundbar (audio input), they aren't very strong to begin with. The problem is I can hardly hear the people speak in a Blue Ray dvd but tv and dvd are great. I have to basically play with all the equalizers and turn the volume almost all the way up. It's like the background music, effects etc... just drown out the speaking.

Got any ideas about what is the problem? Does this mean I have to have some super surround sound system to enjoy blue ray?
setup: Vizeo Smart HDTV with Sony Blue Ray connected via HDMI, soundbar is connected to the tv via the component audio output (no digital or optical)
check out the latest Vizeo Smart HDTVs, they still have an audio component, 60"

The symptom (can't hear the voices) suggests that your system is set for 5.1 Dolby Digital and has to path for the center channel. The "audio out priority" is probably set to either digital 5.1 or "multichannel analog out". This changes the values of the audio signal sent out via the (front) left & right stereo analog RCA jacks. The solution is to use a digital audio connection (S/pdif coax or Toslink optical) or to set the audio output to "stereo analog". Setting the audio output to "stereo analog" will bring the voices back as well as some of the sound from the surround channels. The digital audio connection is better if you want surround sound, but that also requires the appropriate equipment. Good luck!

Back