Christian's, what prophecies have been fulfilled?

Ribbi

Aug 13, 2011
That the Bible foretells?
I hear this often.

Are they incredibly vague?
Weak so far.

Ribbi, John 12:14 " Isaiah saw the Glory of Jesus." I'll give you a few; Isaiah 7:14 "the Virgin Birth" fulfilled in Matthew 1:18 :23, Isaiah 9:7 " Heir of David..." fulfilled in Luke 1:32, Isaiah 11:2 " The character of Jesus." fulfilled in Luke 2:52, Isaiah prophesied as to the fall of Babylon a 100 yrs before it's rise Isaiah 13:, The Medes destroyed Babylon in 539 BC Predicted in Isaiah 13:17-22 also predicted in Jeremiah 51:37-43, Isaiah 19:5-17 "The fall of Egypt predicted." Egypt's demise also predicted in Jeremiah 46: and Ezekiel 29: , Isaiah's vision of the coming Christ,Isaiah 24: fulfilled in Matthew 24:, Isaiah 40:3-5 "Reference to the coming Christ,referred to in all four Gospels; Matthew 3:3, mark 1:3, Luke 4:6, and John 1:23..... These are but a very very few examples, but if you read them it will keep you busy for awhile. Nothing "Vague" about it.

http://www.wayoflife.org/files/category-prophecy002c-biblical.html

The Prophecies of Christ’s First Coming: Psalm 22. In this Psalm alone, there are many specific prophecies about Christ’s death:
v. 1 – Matt. 27:46
vv. 6-8 – Matt. 27:39-44
v. 9-10 – Matt. 1:18-23
v. 11 – Mk. 14:50; Heb. 1:3
vv. 12-13 – Matt. 27:39
v. 14-16 – Matt. 27:35
v. 17 – Jn. 19:33
v. 17b – Mat. 27:36
v. 18 – Matt. 27:35; Jn. 19:24

Prophecies of Israel:

Deuteronomy 28
Verse 36 – Lam. 2:9; 2 Ki. 17:4-6; 2 Ch. 33:11
Verse 37 – Lam. 1:21; 2:15-16; 3:45-46
Verse 38 – Joel 1:4
Verse 41 – Lam. 1:5,16; 2 Ki. 24:10-16; Dan. 1
Verse 43 – Lam. 1:1, 5; 5:2-4
Verse 48 – Lam. 1:11, 14; 4:8-10; 5:5; Jer. 28:14; 4:13; Hab. 1:6-7
Verse 49 – Lam. 4:19; Ezek. 17:3, 12; Hab. 1:8; Jer. 5:15; 48:40; Hos. 8:1
Verse 50 – Lam. 4:16; Is. 47:6; 2 Ch. 36:17
Verse 51 – Is. 1:7
Verse 52 – Lam. 2:5; 7:9; 2 Ki. 25:1, 2, 4; 17:5-6; 18:13
Verse 53 – Lam. 2:20; 4:5, 10; 2 Ki. 6:28-29; Jer. 19:9
Verse 62 – Neh. 7:4; Is. 1:9; Jer. 4:2
Verse 64 – Jer. 16:13; Ezek. 11:16
Verse 65 – Lam. 1:3, 13; 3:4-7; 5:5, 9

Egypt would never again rule over nations:

Bible prophecy: Ezekiel 29:15
Prophecy written: Between 593-571 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: Since the time of Ezekiel about 2500 years ago

In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is again an independent nation, and it has always been an impressive nation. But since the time of Ezekiel, it no longer rules over other nations.

Predicted ca. 760 BC: Amos predicts Israel would be restored as a nation and would never be uprooted again (Amos 9:15)–Fulfilled in 1948. (This prophecy was actually predicted right down to the exact date!)

Predicted ca. 855 BC: The prophet Elijah predicts Jezebel would be eaten by dogs upon her death in Jezreel. (1 Kings 21:23)– Fulfilled ca. 841 BC: Jezebel is killed in Jezreel and dogs eat her body (2 Kings 9:36).

Predicted ca. 536 BC: Daniel prophesies that the Greek empire would not go to Alexander the Great’s heirs (Daniel 11).–Fulfilled ca. 323-281 BC after Alexander’s death when his generals fight over the kingdom while shutting out (and killing) his heirs.

Predicted ca. 30 AD: Jesus tells his disciples that they will be persecuted and hated by the majority of the people on the earth because they follow him (Matthew 24:9).–Fulfilled 1st century AD to the present: Ever since the gospel of Jesus Christ has been preached, millions of true Christians worldwide have been mistreated or killed for the faith.

Predicted ca. 732 BC: Isaiah says Egypt and Ethiopia would be conquered by Assyria (Isaiah 20:3-5).–Fulfilled ca. 673-670 BC when Assyria conquers the northeast African nations.

Amos 2

2:1 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Moab, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he burned the bones of the king of Edom into lime:

Daniel 2 up to the roman Empire. Daniel 7 up to the Grecian Empire under Alexander the Great and his 4 generals that his empire was broken up to, so Daniel 8 as well.

That's a few to begin with. The vagueness thing doesn't work with these prophesies because Daniel is told who those images are specifically in places. So, don't dismiss it too quickly.

All of them have

Here are 365 to get you started investigating

http://www.bibleprobe.com/365messianicprophecies.htm

it doesn't really matter

jesus said that he would return within the lifetime of his (then) current followers

sins he didn't he must have been a false prophet making christianity (which is said to be created by Jesus) meaningless

I guess nobody heard you say "incredibly vague". Yes they are all incredibly vague.

No prophecies have been fulfilled. None.

I'd love to go through each and every claimed prophecy, but it's been done (and better than I could) by Farrell Till at
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrell_till/

He's an ex-minister from the Church of Christ, and quite persuasive, particularly since he's got the goods on all these speculative theologians.

Check him out; it'll do you a world of good. It will also save you from paying a lifetime of needless church tithes.

too many to list but a good example is that the bible said that in the end times people will" have pride in the things in which they should be ashamed"

obama just declared a " gay pride month" for the USA.

thats pretty clear and solid.

Evidences of inspiration
It is filled with prophecies reflecting detailed knowledge of the future—something impossible for humans
2*Pet. 1:20,*21: “No prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.”
? Prophecy: Isa. 44:24, 27,*28; 45:1-4: “Jehovah .*.*. the One saying to the watery deep, ‘Be evaporated; and all your rivers I shall dry up’; the One saying of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd, and all that I delight in he will completely carry out’; even in my saying of Jerusalem, ‘She will be rebuilt,’ and of the temple, ‘You will have your foundation laid.’ This is what Jehovah has said to his anointed one, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have taken hold of, to subdue before him nations, so that I may ungird even the hips of kings; to open before him the two-leaved doors, so that even the gates will not be shut: ‘Before you I myself shall go, and the swells of land I shall straighten out. The copper doors I shall break in pieces, and the iron bars I shall cut down. .*.*. For the sake of my servant Jacob and of Israel my chosen one, I even proceeded to call you by your name.’” (Writing by Isaiah was completed by about 732*B.C.E.)
? Fulfillment: Cyrus had not been born when the prophecy was written. The Jews were not taken into exile to Babylon until 617-607*B.C.E., and Jerusalem and its temple were not destroyed until 607*B.C.E. In detail the prophecy was fulfilled starting in 539*B.C.E. Cyrus diverted the waters of the Euphrates River into an artificial lake, the river gates of Babylon were carelessly left open during feasting in the city, and Babylon fell to the Medes and Persians under Cyrus. Thereafter, Cyrus liberated the Jewish exiles and sent them back to Jerusalem with instructions to rebuild Jehovah’s temple there.—The Encyclopedia Americana (1956), Vol. III, p. 9; Light From the Ancient Past (Princeton, 1959), Jack Finegan, pp. 227-229; “All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial” (New York, 1983), pp. 282, 284, 295.
? Prophecy: Jer. 49:17,*18: “‘Edom must become an object of astonishment. Everyone passing along by her will stare in astonishment and whistle on account of all her plagues. Just as in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah and her neighbor towns,’ Jehovah has said, ‘no man will dwell there.’” (Jeremiah’s recording of prophecies was completed by 580*B.C.E.)
? Fulfillment: “They [the Edomites] were driven from Palestine in the 2nd century B.C. by Judas Maccabæus, and in 109 B.C. John Hyrcanus, Maccabæan leader, extended the kingdom of Judah to include the w. part of Edomitic lands. In the 1st century B.C. Roman expansion swept away the last vestige of Edomitic independence .*.*. After the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70*A.D. .*.*. the name Idumæa [Edom] disappeared from history.” (The New Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia, 1952, Vol. 11, p. 4114) Notice that the fulfillment extends down to our day. In no way can it be argued that this prophecy was written after the events had taken place.
? Prophecy: Luke 19:41-44; 21:20,*21: “He [Jesus Christ] viewed the city [Jerusalem] and wept over it, saying: .*.*. ‘The days will come upon you when your enemies will build around you a fortification with pointed stakes and will encircle you and distress you from every side, and they will dash you and your children within you to the ground, and they will not leave a stone upon a stone in you, because you did not discern the time of your being inspected.’” Two days later, he counseled his disciples: “When you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near. Then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains, and let those in the midst of her withdraw.” (Prophecy spoken by Jesus Christ in 33*C.E.)
? Fulfillment: Jerusalem revolted against Rome, and in 66*C.E. the Roman army under Cestius Gallus attacked the city. But, as Jewish historian Josephus reports, the Roman commander “suddenly called off his men, abandoned hope though he had suffered no reverse, and flying in the face of all reason retired from the City.” (Josephus, the Jewish War, Penguin Classics, 1969, p. 167) This provided opportunity for Christians to flee from the city, which they did, moving to Pella, beyond the Jordan, according to Eusebius Pamphilus in his Ecclesiastical History. (Translated by C. F. Crusé, London, 1894, p. 75) Then around Passover time of the year 70*C.E. General Titus besieged the city, an encircling fence 4.5 miles (7.2 km) long was erected in just three days, and after five months Jerusalem fell. “Jerusalem itself was systematically destroyed and the Temple left in ruins. Archaeological work shows us today just how effective was the destruction of Jewish buildings all over the land.”—The Bible and Archaeology (Grand Rapids, Mich.; 1962), J. A. Thompson, p. 299

Israel becoming a nation again.

I particularly like Daniel's "Seventy Sevens" prophecy which accurately predicted the date of Jesus' crucifixion. (Dan. 9:24-27)

There have been hundreds fulfilled.

http://propheciesfulfilledinjesuschrist.com/

Back