How to tell my parents the truth about leaving their religion?

Thisguy

Jun 16, 2008
Im mormon, and im about a 10th generation mormon, mormonism is big in my family, 1st cousins, 2nd cousins, 3rd cousins. We are all mormon. I have decided i do not want to be mormon anymore but i dont know what to do. My mom is not the reasoning type. My mom sees things as, her way or the highway. And i have nowhere else to really go. I know for a fact that just talking to her directly will not work because my mom doesnt listen to anyone! complete contro freak! when i put her in a position where she knows she is completely wrong, she will just slap me, or scream at me forever. She hates me the most out of 4other brothers and 3 sisters. She thinks i am the family screw up. She always makes me work my ass off cleaning her house everyday, She doesnt make the siblings do as much as me. And my siblings agree that she treats me worse than everyone else. She will never listen to me. I need help please. but do not make or disrespect the mormons. I still respect them as a religion. A couple extra facts..1 I am tongan. 2. I am 15 years old 3. i do not have a job, (because of the fact my mom wont let me get one because she would rather have me working for her. 4. i do not get allowance 5. she almost never lets me hang with friends. 6. I am really strong and determined i do not get put down so easily. 7. I weigh only 120 lbs. 8. I am a Die hard (from what ive been told). thank you in advance!

Well I will certainly be praying that you and your mother can somehow have a better relationship. and I hope that you will be able to find peace. If you know that direct confrontation won't work my suggestion is maybe getting a family psychiatrist. That's all I got. I hope you have a blessed and awesome life.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this, I went through the same type of issue with rejecting my family's religion. Unfortunately, since you are a minor your rights are limited. She will most likely make your life a living hell once you let the cat out of the bag. It may seem cruel and harsh, but you may have to bite your tongue until you are old enough to leave the house. If she is abusing you though, you MUST call social services. You have two real choices, either keep your choice in secret until you are eighteen or file for emancipation and become a legal adult.

Back